Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I wrote this back in March and saved it as a draft. I was going to edit it and add more back then but obviously never got around to doing it. I just read it and thought it would be fun to post. So this is when spring was first starting to peek through:

Colorado is so strange. On Thursday and Friday we had sunny skies and 65 degree temperatures. Saturday was an amazing 75+ degrees. We woke up this morning (Sunday) to a blowing blizzard and snow on the ground!?? Yesterday you would have thought the snow was gone forever!



Landen had Thursday and Friday off of school for Parent Teacher Conf. On Thursday I wasn't feeling great and had a lot to do around the house. My kids seemed really bored so I decided to let my kitchen go for a bit and spend some quality time with them. We all helped prepare a nice picnic lunch because it was so beautiful outside. I was feeling like a pretty nice mom because I was telling them how we could play red light, green light, Mother May I, etc. (even though I was feeling pregnancy nausea) and have an afternoon of fun (just like summer!). Well, we get our picnic lunch outside in the backyard and sit down on our blanket. Savannah thought it was so cool to be eating outside, she was very happy. All of a sudden Landen jumps up off of the blanket and says, "I just saw a bee". I said "No, it must have been a fly. There aren't really bees out yet because the flowers haven't bloomed. Sit down and finish your lunch."



Next thing I know, two bees whiz by our picnic lunch. Landen jumps up and runs inside and shuts the sliding door as quick as he can. I went and got him and convinced him it was fine and we probably wouldn't see him again. This went on for the next 20 minutes, where the bees would come back and both boys would run in the house. Finally, they both gathered up their lunch and said "I want to eat inside!" So Savannah and I stuck it out and had our picnic by ourselves (to be fair, Blake got stung in the neck last year a couple of times and Landen was there to see the pain so they are a little more nervous than usual :)).



After we ate I convinced the boys they couldn't spend such a beautiful day inside and the bees only came around when we had food. So we started to play our fun games. All of a sudden Landen saw a couple of bees again. He yelled, "more bees!!" and him and Blake literally started freaking out! They both ran inside, slammed the door shut, then I hear them open it and come screaming toward Savannah and I on the trampoline. "The bee got trapped inside, he followed us inside, he's trying to get us!" At this point, Savannah is crying because her brothers are so scared of something. So I have 3 kids huddled on the trampoline sobbing (no doubt all neighbors can hear this). The boys trapped the bee between the screen and sliding glass door. I was able to carefully let it out and I said, "Guys, lets just go inside, you obviously aren't having much fun." "No, we can't go in there, the bees will follow us again, no, no, no". I said, "Get inside right now". I had to open the door for them so they could make a "beeline" run for the door (leaving their sister alone with the bees). I got Savannah and took her inside and the boys were panting and thanking their lucky stars they were safe inside and not "attacked" by those killer bees!!



They kept saying, "I am not going outside all summer!" "I hate bees, I am never going outside again!". Needless to say, I was so annoyed. I couldn't believe they were that scared. We have never had such an issue and now they are older and more scared than ever. So much for trying to be a fun mom and enjoy the beautiful afternoon with my kids!



I didn't see a lot of the bees but my kids kept claiming there were a bunch of them. A couple of days later I found out there is a dead tree stump nearby with hundreds of bees. Luckily we have been playing outside a lot and we haven't had a problem with the boys being frightened.

No comments: